Friday, April 21, 2006

My little Autistic friend

About a month ago I started working on a new cd project for a woman who is in the 3 Degrees Band Tournament. I've only heard her stuff a couple times, and it seems pretty cool. Maybe not my exact taste, but it's decent quality, so that's always a good thing.
The second time she came in to check on things she brought her little boy along. It didn't dawn on me at first, but Guy had told me about this lady before and about her son being autistic. They connected on that point because Guy also has a son who has autism, but is now much older.
This little guy is so fun, I guess he's more on the "savant" side of the autism or however you'd say that. When someone gives him a piano or any instrument he'll just start playing music and he's only about 7 or something.
The first time he came in I gave him this little car/bus that I keep sitting on my desk for times when kids come in. I didn't realize until the next week that he actually accidentally brought it home with him. He walked in the second time and said, "Here's your bus" or something like that.. and "Thanks."
So, yesterday they were in and he keeps saying really fast "Vision Van Gogh, Vision Van Stop" ... LOL... and then the best was "Vision Van Be Careful"... that made me crack up!
Today, they picked up a poster and he kept saying "This is what I'm saying, I'm NOT Going!" Apparently it's from ICE AGE, the first one. His mom was telling him to say something nice if he wanted to talk to me, and whispered something in his ear. He comes over to me and says "You're pretty" and then repeats the Ice Age line again. It was so funny, he's such a cute kid. When he was leaving I said "Good bye, have a good day" and he says "Good bye!! BYE LISA"

okay, I should be working, but I didn't want to forget to post this! It was quick! :)

2 comments:

Erin Bennett said...

Being a teacher and looking back on all of the students I have worked with, my favorites are honestly the ones with special needs, particulary autism. They are just so real and honest and fun. So glad you have a new little friend!

david said...

Great story! Thanks for posting! Sorry I fell off the blogger planet for a couple weeks. I think I'm back now!