Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year.... Raheem!

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve... I wish everyone a Happy New Year.

This year was filled with many high highs and low lows. I feel like a broken record, as I mentioned the same thing in the previous post, but it's true. And, on Saturday night, there was one last(hopefully) low, yet not so low at the same time. My dear young friend Raheem from Hopkins Village, Belize passed away due to complications with double pneumonia. His family hurried him to the hospital in Belize City only to find that their ventilator wasn’t working. They tried hand forcing the oxygen but finally Raheem asked for them to stop.
It is such a hard deal. He brought so much joy and life into many peoples lives, yet many days his health was not so good. The days I was able to be with him a couple years ago, were precious ones, filled with many giggles, smiles, and teasing. He was a good teaser. There were also moments where he was in pain, and just wanted to be alone or didn't have a whole lot to say. The last night I saw him, he said this to me, "Good bye Lisa, see you late.. uh next summer or uh sometime... Goodbye" He knew that I might not be back, so he said goodbye.
As much as I'm saddened by this, it also means Raheem is now running, skipping, jumping and swimming along with his sister Cindy who passed about two years ago now. Another cool thing is that this spring/summer Raheem got to live his dream and fly in a helicopter. Amazing.

I just pray now for their family... may comfort be surrounding them, most especially Destiny the last one who also has the disease. There are two other children, Sarah and Josiah... their mother is Vicky and their father is Neal. May they not lose sight of their savior. Emmanuel.. God with Us.

No comments: