Monday, July 27, 2009

My time at Temperance

For the last year I've been wanting to make a journey up to the Temperance River to remember my dear friend Julie who gave her life for a friend in that place. Yesterday was the day I finally was able to fulfill my desire, along with a great companion to be whatever I needed. We departed from the cities at an early hour, after not having a full night's sleep, but it was awesome to be up in the Duluth area before 9am.

On the journey up we made the obligatory stop at Tobies for the famously delicious Caramel Rolls (we had Pecan) and some coffee and juice. We wanted to spend some time at Gooseberry and Canal Park, but saved those for the journey back. It's always a good time to take the scenic drive on the way up to Two Harbors, just past there we stopped at a scenic overlook for a few photo ops and rock skipping. As we drew nearer to Temperance I could feel in my spirit a bit of anxiousness. I really didn't know how being there was going to hit me, but I was glad to have a shoulder to cry on if I needed it or just someone to stand beside me in the quiet.

We parked the car, Ryan got out and got our cameras and stuff together while I put on my chacos. I was very quiet the whole time, and just had nothing to say. Even though I really didn't know any details of where things happened, it was all rolling around in my head. We walked down the path on the west side of the road up river. I wanted to know where they were, how it really could have happened. It just didn't seem possible, but I suppose the water is different each year and is unpredictable as well. Last year some friends put a cross and photo of Julie near the river somewhere, but I didn't see anything. I suppose with the year's passing seasons it was taken down or destroyed somehow.

In the time we took to hike around I just really wanted to have fun and enjoy myself, upon first looking out at the places I suspected they could have been I had my tears, but Julie was an adventurer so I celebrated that as well! I didn't have any deeply profound thoughts, but it was just a good time to remember a friend. Remember how we were going to hike and camp and have an adventure!

Today as I sit and write, I realized I could have brought something to throw in the water or something... but I didn't. And it's okay... you don't always NEED symbolism. Sometimes you just need that time and to just 'be' who you are in the moment. I think Julie was good at that, not trying to be anything else when she was in the moment with you.

The rest of the day was a good time too, we walked down to the lake at Temperance and climbed on the rocks that were at the edge of the lake. Found a quiet place and rested for awhile and got some sun in the process.

Gooseberry was the next destination, which is always a great one, but it always seems to be more populated with people. Spent some time there and then journeyed back down to Duluth with a stop at a scenic overlook close to Betty's Pies. We were going to stop in for a pastie, but also wanted to get going and it would take 10mins.. in our impatience we decided to save our appetites for something in Canal Park.

After a little jaunt in the wrong direction, we made it to Canal Park and ate at Grandmas Saloon.. another pretty popular destination. I have to say though, we had an AMAZING Steak Cheese French sandwich with thick sliced beef tenderloin, mushrooms, cheddar, mozzarella, and Philadelphia cream cheese. mmmmmmm...

I need to get going, so no profound ending either. A really great time all in all!

No comments: