Monday, July 25, 2005

Wet Dog Stinks!

Tonight is my last night of house/dog sitting and I have to say that I am ready to be done. I always forget that it is more work than I think, until I get the list of pets/amphibians/reptiles to feed, not to mention the dog and cat.
There are always more things to do than you think.. like feeding the Bearded Dragon meal worms and lettuce every other day, watering the boy's jalepeno plant every day, cleaning out the water dish of the turtle and feeding it lettuce every other day. Oh, and once while they're gone feed the slimy tree frog some meal worms as well. The feeding just consists of tossing the worms in their cages, but first I use a fork to sift through the sawdust to find the nasty things. And this evening, while tossing the lettuce in the dragon's cage, it decided to lunge at my hand, the lettuce flew all over the cage and I quickly shut the top. ICK! What teenage girl in their right mind has an ugly dragon for a pet?? I guess this one does, but not me... I'm doing well to keep a fish alive for more than 3months.

I had to work later today and didn't think of how it was pouring outside, and the dog stays out all day long. OOPS... I got home to find the neighbor girl who walks the dog every day, standing with an umbrella waiting to tell me something about the dog. Turns out she "got her period" in the girl's words :). Yes, she went into heat and so that means she's dripping, so I kept her outside. But, the rain was letting up and did stop by about 7:30, so I didn't feel bad. I called their owners and he said it was fine to leave her out. I can have a clear concience(how do you spell that??). So, she was a wet stinky dog when I let her in to go in her kennel tonite. I'm not awful though, I did dry her off with towels as best I could!

I've come to the conclusion that I'm really okay with not having animals at this point in my life. I had a dog and cat growing up and loved them, but I've now grown accustomed to not having hair all over and not having the extra responsibility. I do think that I'd let my children have pets though, they are great for helping them learn responsibility... and good companions as well.

That's the long and short of it... until next time... free of pets...

toodles-

4 comments:

Erin Bennett said...

Conscience. :)
You are so good to do this for them...I would have zero patience with all those random animals. And a dog that isn't spayed, for Pete's sake! You are an angel. I hope you get paid well!!!

Lisa said...

me too... i've gotten paid 2/3 times, so we'll see :).

Erin Bennett said...

That's awful! They are so funny. Once when I was babysitting we had to have a conversation that just because my "rate" for two kids was $3/hour, I would not accept $1.50/hour for one kid. She really didn't get it. Oh well. That was so many years ago. :) I think I'm over it!!!

david said...

You don't get paid for this? Did they ever save your life or pay for your safe passage into the country? No one should have to put up with attacks from dragons! Who do they think you are, the Green Knight?