Sunday, November 13, 2005

lesson learned

During the summer(and a couple times since) you may remember my mention of the book "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge, how great it was and that I was getting a lot out of it. I wished I knew this stuff and could've held it close during those late high-school/early college years of my life.
That got me thinking about my small group girls, and the junior girls in general(only a third of them are in my group), and got me thinking about doing some kind of bible study/book study with them. I did some talking with a few of them to see if it was something they would be interested in, and I got a lot of positive feedback. But, I was still hesitant, mostly because I've never felt like a stellar, "teaching leader," if you will. I can listen to girls, give advice, encouragement and prayer, but put me in a position of teaching and I feel so inadequate.
After a lot of prayer(and talking to Scott) and procrastination, I finally made up a flyer about it and took the junior girls aside before small groups and told them about this opportunity which was to start November 13th(today).
This was a week and a half ago, which I thought would be enough time. If I had mentioned it too early in advance, I thought they'd forget. I made sure to make an announcement on wed. night to remind them that it was this sunday, and a lot of them asked me about it to confirm directions etc.
Unfortunately, only two ended up making it tonight! :( I was all ready and prepared too! I was a bit disapointed, but things just happen, and they just seemed to happen to a bunch of them tonight. The three of us talked a little bit about what it would look like and also thought of about 5 people who were originally planning to come.
So, I'm not too upset, but the one thing I didn't plan so well was how much in advance I should be letting students know about things. I always forget how busy they are as well, and that two weeks probably would have been ideal. I was just so focused about wanting it to start, and frustrated with my procrastinating, that I didn't want to wait longer. But my lesson has been learned, it didn't get me any further. owell...

2 comments:

gloria said...

I applaud your courage!

david said...

Granted, I don't have a lot of experience with high school girls, but I don't think you made a mistake here. Anyone who is going to have time to commit to going through the book should be able to read through it in a few days. My guess is the rest were all talk. I say keep with it, maybe the others will join in once they realize what they are missing out on. Even if they don't, you are performing a huge service for the few that do show up. Keep going!