Sunday, March 05, 2006

Addiction, Obsession, or just interested in people?

Since the world of computers was opened to me, I was always interested in them. Especially way back when the world wide web was introduced, and AOL... I admit, as a 9th/10th grader I was a HUGE fan of going into "christian" teen chat rooms and meeting people from all over the nation and having random conversations about whether DCTalk's JEsUs FreAk or Newsboy's SHINE was the best "all-time" song thus far... or yelling at some "satan worshipper" who came into the room just to ryle everyone up(and boy did we feed that!)... I sit back and laugh at those times... Well, it took a downward plummet for awhile as more important things (like real friends;)) entered my life, getting a driver's license, and more homework. Although I definitely still kept up with emailing some of these "online friends" I met, and of course other friends as well.

This really does have a point... let me try and get to it before I go off in another direction...
as of late I've realized that I really get hooked to things like this.. blogs, xanga(a more kid type blogger journal thing, I use with my highschoolers), and now myspace. It could be anything... but it's this sort of addiction to see if someone has "commented" me.. or just changing the looks of things all the time... or jumping from person to person to read and see what people are thinking about life and what not. I think it can be a really good thing, but I've noticed that no matter what it is... blogs or myspace or whatever... I get really engrossed and before I know it an hour or so has passed.

So, my question to myself is...
Is the time that I'm spending in front of this screen always the best... even if it is in the name of wanting to hear about other's lives. I think I've begun to answer my question in part... the answer so far is this... there is obviously nothing wrong with wanting to be updated with the lives of others, and wanting to use this technology as a good teaching or relating tool, but if that time is taking over other parts of my life... than I need to stop and change some things.

That is why I haven't been posting as often lately... not to mention the "obsession" of myspace unfortunately took over for awhile. I resisted it for a long time, mostly because it was such a "trendy" thing.. and then I decided to peruze it for a little bit just to see what some of the "so-called" controversy was... and then I was able to get a grasp of it... but then slowly it took over me a little and I realize how people can get "addicted" to it...

So. there you have it. I'm working on getting this all balanced... it's almost as if I've got too many "web" things going. I've decided to spend only a half hour on the internet (at home atleast) per day for Lent... and spend time doing other things that matter... you know like that God thing :) tee hee... jk... but for real. I've definitely waaay exceeded it for today, but I can give myself grace.

Kinda feel silly sharing all this, but that's that.
the end...

(don't worry, i've not gone pyscho and think that this is all evil! :) )

2 comments:

david said...

You are right in that balance is very important. Not everyone realizes that. Balance is something we all struggle with. I know it is something I'm dealing with all the time. I think this semester I've become better at it, but I'm still trying to get a feel for where my time is best spent. I often feel like I'm abandoning family and friends or abandoning work and school. For some reason those two groups never seem to mesh right.

As long as you keep it in mind and are actively working to find that balance, I don't think you have much to worry about. Once you abandon working towards that balance, you have lost it. From what you say I think you are doing great. Keep it up!

gloria said...

balance... good.
blogging... bad!
Just kidding!
I do understand the time sucking capability of this computer/blogging/online thing. Did I get the laundry done? um, no.