Thursday, March 09, 2006

Kirby will be missed :(

Wow... I was so surprised at this early death of a childhood baseball hero. I knew he wasn't looking as good, etc, but it's this "immortal hero" mentality I guess. I have so many fond childhood memories of going to a Twins game, sitting in the Cheap Seats and eating Cotton Candy. I bet I went to atleast 3-4 games a year or so as a kid... I bet that's how I learned the Star Spangled banner so well, not to mention "take me out to the ballgame"...
I've never watched a Twins game with the same love since he left, and I probably never will. There was just something about his love of the game and passion on the field, he drew you in and you couldn't not like the guy.
I still have my homer hanky and Kirby Puckett (fake-signed) mini-bat. I loved that thing!

That classic Kirby announcement will live with me forever...



KIIIIRRRRRRRRRBBBEEEEEEEy PU-CKET! (and the crowd goes wild... aaaarrrhhhh aaaawwhhh)

We're gonna Win Twins, We're gonna Score!
We're gonna Win Twins, now watch that baseball sore...

Pound out(?) a HomeRUN shout a HIP HORAY
Cheer for the Minnesota Twins TODAY!

2 comments:

Erin Bennett said...

Ah, the cheap seats. I don't think I had a decent seat at a game until after I graduated from college.
And, I had a real-signed baseball. It was after the '87 Series. I don't think I realized, as a 7-year-old, how cool it was.

david said...

I remember seeing Kirby play once at the dome. It was pretty cool to see how excited the crowd got when he went up to bat. He was the hero. It is a shame he couldn't have been a hero post-baseball. I guess some athletes just can't adapt.