Thursday, September 28, 2006

Birds and Spiders

Two "random" stories for you from today...

Numeral Uno-
As I look out the window by my desk there is an old house directly to my right. It's actually the backyard of a house that used to have two older ladies inhabit it, who were keen on feeding stray cats, various birds, and really any other creature that needed a home. This house was often a bit of entertainment in our computer sucked day.
Recently we've noticed that the ladies are in the process of moving out, but it has been in stages. There are no longer any dog/cat houses or bird baths in the backyard, nor has there been any laundry hung out to dry (as there had been in the past).
However, the birds were definitely present today, and apparently very consumed with the berries on the Juniper tree that stands about 5-10feet from my window. I think they had some halucinigens(sp?) in them, because in the time between about 11:30 until 4:00 7 birds proceeded to fly into our windows. It was quite the entertainment, and EVERY time, caught me by surprise! I was pretty close to losing it after awhile... not to mention my day was pretty hectic to begin with, must have been something in the air. As we say around the office... it was a Thursday.. (if anything ever goes wrong, it's THURSday!). I took a picture for some proof of these wako birds... the last one hit so hard, it left a feather on the window.. excuse the blurriness, I couldn't get the macro focus to work.


Numeral Dos-
Tonight, after watching my Thursday night line up.. I decided to catch up on some emails, etc. As I was minding my own business typing away I looked to my left and in the corner of the wall by my desk were two ugly spiders. They looked like two different types... one was like a mini-daddy long legs and the other just an ugly spider with a large body and not as long of legs as the other. I've developed this fear of spyders... not so much that I'll start freaking out and crying, but freaking out and yelling curses at them. I frantically found the RAID and sprayed them while squirmishly hoping they wouldn't fall off the wall and go crawling into a hole. I was lucky, they stuck to the wall and I promptly grabbed a napkin to squish their ugly little bodies. (iihhllll blech) I was again typing away when Ang yells, "EEWW, there's a BIG spider over here, help".. I came over with the RAID and squirmed and again yelled curses at it... I HATE HATE HATE them! How have I done missions all these years you may ask? I just suck it up and occassionly have to do the same thing... and sometimes loose sleep over wondering if a spyder is going to crawl up my leg and who knows where else... blaaaclkloaklkiosh*&#)_!
Getting back to Angela's incident... so I came with the RAID and couldn't bring myself to spray it because it was big and I didn't want it to jump off the wall after spraying it and touch me. I kept trying and then Ang grabbed the bottle from me and sprayed it... the spider then fell to the floor and Ang sprayed it a few more times and once it was dead in a heap she sprayed it once more for good measure. Ang tried to tease me, but I reminded her who yelled for help 3mins prior to that moment. I went to call our management to tell them AGAIN that we found spiders. Plunkett's came out and sprayed about a month and a half ago.. you'd think that should last, but I guess with the weather and all, they're looking for warm places... I DESPISE SPIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God help me if I find another spider tonight, I might just break down and start crying... MIGHT... only might.
So, here's a pic of that bigger spider all balled up and grimacing... okay maybe not grimacing... i put a pen cap there so you can tell the size better :).

4 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Lisa,
I'm catching up on my blog reading today and just cracked up at your postings from Thursday. There must be something in the air because I had the same thing happen here with the birds this week. I kept hearing this mild crash noise on our front window and when I looked out there were so many birds that I felt like I was in the movie. (The Birds)They were flying from the oak tree into the bushes right by our window that have the red berries on them. I guess they would just miss the bushes and hit the window from time to time. There must be something in those berries!
As to the spiders, April is also horrified by them and since her room is in the lower level she sees them more than I ever do. She has also gotten quite brave, like yourself, and is now willing to swear at them and even kill them! I'm so proud of her and you too.
I might come in to see the incredible shrinking office today. But first I have to go out front and try some of the berries...

Erin Bennett said...

I hate spiders too. Your whole post made me squirm.
And, correction: How do you survive mission trips? You move your beds to the middle of the room to avoid the variety of crawling bugs to transition from the wall to your sleeping self. :)

Erin Bennett said...

Oops, the post was so long that I forgot I meant to comment on the first part too. :)
When I was young and living in WI, we had a Mountain Ash tree in our backyard. The small orange berries on the tree would make the birds drunk and they would fly into our big picture window. It was quite traumatic for 5-year-old me, but amusing to think back on it. Anyway, any trees of that description in your neighboring backyard?

david said...

Looking at your spider pic, I couldn't tell if it was the fact the RAID was poisonous or that it was drowning in liquid that killed it! Next time you may want to try setting fire to it as well, you know, just to makes sure ;-)

Great stories!