Thursday, December 21, 2006

CHristmaS Meme...

Okay Erin... I of course, cannot resist the "meme"
here's the definition for all who are curious... i had to look it up:
meme:
an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture

1. Egg nog or Hot Chocolate?

Hot Chocolate! Egg Nog just sounds nasty

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Santa only brings the stocking stuffers...

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Currently green and red on tree... none on the house

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Naw... i never got into that... nobody to kiss anyways :)

5. When do you put your decorations up?
very soon after Turkey day

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
hmm... it's always different.. this year it's a ham from the Honey Baked Ham Co.- my dad got a GC for one... i suppose it'll be good, but I'm not a huge ham fan in general

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child.
hmm... i don't now if it's absolutely favorite, but one I remember vividly... I asked for ice skates (i knew we were friends for a reason E! :), but I got new ones... sorry) for christmas one year and the next morning before going to my grandma's house, I was determined to try out my new skates. My parents were so great... they brought me to an ice rink even though it was closed and helped me get my skates on in the car so I could go and try them out. I believe it was close to 0° out, too! So, needless to say the skating didn't last very long!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
Santa was "old saint nick", a real person, but a story from long ago, I was told by my parents early on. I was probably one of the oblivious kids who didn't realize my friends REALLY believed in Santa, and broke their little hearts.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas eve?
I open ALL of them on Christmas eve... we used to do christmas with mom's side on the eve and dad's side on day... but you know, family feud and all that, so the eliminated the day celebration.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
being a single gal, i don't have many ornaments... i haven't asked for my christmas ornaments from my parents because I felt like I should wait until I have my own family. Just makes more sense on their tree right now.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it?
As you may have read... I posted in the middle of my work day today JUST to report the snow that FINALLY fell! It was ABOUT TIME! Yes, I love it... I was actually getting depressed from the brown-ness.

12. Can you ice skate?
I got new Ice Skates two years ago, or maybe even three now.. wow! but I haven't had a chance to use them in a couple years. :(... that is one of my goals for the year.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? (hold on, this one's long)
oh gosh... this is a funny/heartwarming story :)... it's mostly my favorite because of the story..
so, in middle school i was pretty obsessed with Elmo (i know you know where this is going). And, of course when the Tickle Me Elmo came out EVERYONE had to have one, but I really never remember asking for one outright... Everyone remembers the mobs and people stealing them out of customers hands, etc. It was insane and I couldn't imagine why it was SOO important to have it for Christmas. OKAY... so I open most of my gifts and then get to one from my grandma, open it, and yes, it's "Tickle Me Elmo"... I was shocked! She told me that she went to Target and got a RainCheck (because they were obviously out), not thinking it would come before Christmas and would just wrap a picture of it or something. Target called her a few days before Christmas, so she was able to pick it up for me. I remember her saying something like she was a bit frightened that someone would see her carrying one out of the store. I just LOVE my grandma! Not because I got something, but because of the heart behind it... she knew without me asking, and didn't worry about having to give it on Christmas... "it's the thought that counts" is her moto.

14. What is the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Family. (i'll second that!)

15. What is your favorite Holiday dessert?
mmm... Grandma's special creme wafer cookies... they're indescribable!

16. What is your favorite Holiday tradition?
a newer tradition is having Mike and Lois(our "adopted" aunt and uncle) over for gift giving and dessert on christmas day (although this year will be slightly different because of schedules... owell)

17. What tops your tree?
nothing... couldn't find one I liked that lit up

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
i gotta be honest i like both equally... especially receiving a creative gift... it tells you about the person who is giving them... like last year, my sister burned three different compilation cds for me... fun songs, worship songs, and quiet songs.... the fun songs was so awesome... a bunch of oldies that we used to dance around the house to... how fun!


19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
oo, i have a few... The Little Drummer Boy (i loved the rup a pum pum parts as a kid), Carol of the Bells, and that song from ELF that Will Ferrell sings with that girl in the bathroom to... something like... oh yeah, Baby, it's Cold Outside :)

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
i could take 'em or leave 'em... i haven't had one in a long while actually

well... as the definition of "meme" is spreads from person to person, whoever reads this is supposed to do the same thing... so maybe David or Linda could do this, since Erin already did it... i'm pretty sure there are only three of you who frequent my blog anyways! anybody wanna prove me wrong?

1 comment:

gloria said...

I loved reading all of your stories. You are absolutely rich! Have a very Merry Christmas Lisa!