Sunday, March 11, 2007

G'day Mate!

I'm goin' to Australia!!

Here's my story,

One Sunday last May, Steve Hanson presented an update on Open Door's partnership with World Vision in Kenya&Uganda. In Nairobi, Kenya, we support Dr. David and Ann Kitonga in the Kawangare slum. In the middle of this slum is an island of safety and hope in the school built and run by the Kitongas. In Gulu, Uganda, we partner with World Vision as they serve former abductees of the LRA (Lord's Resistance Army). In the time that Steve presented there was a short video shown of these places, and it impacted me. In the video was a wonderful woman named Nancy, she was on the team with Steve, and a couple years ago I went to Belize with her as a co-leader with the youth. I sat there watching and wondering if that could ever be me and what could I do to be in her position. Anyone who knows me, most likely knows that missions is a big passion... people in general are a big passion.
I saw Nancy after the service and told her that I would love to hear the more personal side of her story in Africa. We soon sat and had coffee together, she spoke of her stories and I listened, and she listened to my stories as well. During this talking the subject of a "DTS" came up, a DTS is Discipleship Training School. The one we talked of though was on Mercy Ships, which is an orginization that transformed a few cruise ships into floating hospitals. They travel to many destinations and onboard with the doctors and crew they hold these DTS's. This conversation got me to thinking and I began researching Mercy Ships on the web and praying.

At the end of June I went on my 2nd missions trip to Belize with the sr. highers, and upon my return scheduled a time to meet with Steve and chat about Belize and Mercy Ships. I was having trouble getting any response from Mercy Ships and wondered just how I'd ever get any information. While talking to Steve, he informed me that the DTS was actually started by YWAM on the Mercy Ships, and that they are no longer affiliated. But, that Mercy Ships still had a program like a DTS. I didn't want to send in an application to something that didn't seem to ever get back to me, so Steve reccomended I search on YWAM's website for a DTS.

This is where I got sort of overwhelmed. There are YWAM bases in hundreds (if not thousands) of places/countries. In one of the searches there was a category for "special focus" and under that was listed "creative arts." VOILA
As I searched under this category it brought up 4 different places... the two I keyed into were Pismo Beach, CA and Brisbane, Australia! I guess art is just associated with warm climates! Ha! :) So, I looked further into them and began emailing different questions... Australia started in Oct. 07, Cali was actually undecided. Australia had many different countries in attendance, Cali had primarily US...

There was a point where I couldn't do much, so it wasn't until after Christmas that I started really emailing the bases again and trying to figure out what I wanted, not to mention what God wanted. That has been the hardest part of this journey so far... this seems hard to say, but I have been struggling with the whole idea of God having a specific "plan" for my life that I might mess up, or the idea of Him blessing the paths that I choose. Does that make sense? What I'm trying to get at is, I haven't heard a direct "Lisa, go to Australia for the DTS" or "Lisa, stay here and be a disciple among the least and the lost right in your backyard"... or even "wait, this isn't the time" - what I have come to believe is that He has put this passion in me, and it's true I could serve anywhere. You don't have to have schooling to make a difference, BUT why not take this incredible opportunity now... I have no attachments, I'm young and only growing older. The plan He has for me is to love Him and love others... that's the greatest commandment, right?! Right...
For awhile, many different fears were holding me back from taking any steps toward starting the application process. But, during a winter youth retreat, I believe God was revealing to me that I had to have a "ruthless trust" or "dangerous wonder"- go and do it and don't worry so much about all those fears. (i think those two phrases are book titles, actually.)

So, in February I emailed the Australia DTS and asked if I turned in my app. by the end of the month, if that would be enough time. They said it would, so during February I made the appointments necessary, got my reference forms out and finished the personal history questions on the application. I accomplished my goal and felt a great peace inside as I brought it to the Post Office. (although, i felt slightly attacked when I locked my keys in the car and it was a huge fiasco. I was supposed to leave for Paynesville with my parents and it screwed our schedule up... but i digress)....

Last Tuesday, March 6th, I received an email from the "Registrar" that I had been accepted to the MAD DTS! (MAD= Music Arts Drama) It starts beginning of October and ends the end of April... that's 7mos. folks! I'm excited, filled with joy, love, a certain peace, anxious, sad, scared, but so happy to have the opportunity to learn how to love so much more and serve the God who lives in me!

I end with this....

It is the cry of my heart to follow YOU
It is the cry of my heart to be close to YOU
It is the cry of my heart to FOLLOW...
all of the days of my life

2 comments:

mjonthemove said...

Congratulations Lisa! That is awesome. I know a ton of YWAMmers in Madison. It's a cool program.

Erin Bennett said...

This is so great. It's nice to hear the whole story and your whole passion. Again, I'm so excited for you. (Did you get my e-card?)