Monday, March 12, 2007

In memoriam, Cindy Ariola

Cindy died early this morning after being sick for several days. Cindy was the sibling of Raheem, Destiny, Josiah and Sarah. Daughter of Neil and Vicki Ariola.

This is one of the little children in Hopkins Village, Belize, who had brittle bone disease, in whose house I painted characters on the wall. There was a small memorial gathering in her honor tonight.

The time tonight was nice... a good way to remember Cindy and know that she is DANCING and RUNNING around in heaven in her new body! She was only 9years old and full of peace, love and joy. Always wiggling around and "dancing on the table" as music was played, or if we would just sing together. I remember a time where she and Destiny both were asking me to dance all over... one of my favorite old worship songs was playing "The River is Here" I danced and we sang and laughed. What a beautiful expression of worship...

The last night I was with the Ariola family in June and saying my goodbyes, Raheem decided to let me video tape him saying something into the camera. He said, "Bye, see you next, um see you sometime, say hi to everyone." And then Cindy wanted to say something as well, so I video taped her and asked "Okay, what do you want to say?" and Cindy said "I love you so much!"

It's really hard not knowing when I'll be back to Belize to see the family, a team of youth are going in June and if I had the time/money- I'd be there. But, with YWAM, I just don't see it happening. I made that decision long ago, but gosh I so want to be with them now.

If you care to, join me in prayer for the whole family as they greive this loss, one that was much more sudden than expected. My dear friend Vicky Ariola has to be going through a myriad of emotions and my prayer for her is that she would not become bitter- that she would cling to God when it hurts really bad and that her and her husband would be able to hold onto each other in those times as well. Another prayer is for Raheem, he was already feeling a little sick the past few days as well, but with this news has grown weaker. Our prayer tonight was for him to know the incredible value of his life that is yet to live.. that he would hold on and not grow weary! I don't believe that God is done with the ministry of his life! And for Destiny as well, who shared all 5years of her life with Cindy lying next to her... it has to be something she doesn't quite understand. The same goes for their two siblings who do not have the disease, Josiah and Sarah who are caught in the middle with much confusion.
Thank you Lord for the lives you have touched through this family, I pray these things in your name!
Amen

I don't want to end on a low note, because like I said earlier Cindy is dancing and running and laughing in heaven right now... so here's a little anecdote to end this ...

I received the email about tonight at about 7:30, this memorial was already in progress, so I ran out of my house in a bandana, flip flops(it was so nice out today!) and a coat.. okay and a shirt and what not... but I felt pretty stupid showing up late looking like a slob. I was about to paint a canvas, so I had gotten my painting clothes on... there was NO time to change. Owell... at the end Cheryl Skelly took a video of the group because she is going down there on friday. The Ariola's are going to think I ALWAYS wear a bandana... it's like it was meant to be... I was also wearing a shirt that we decorated in Belize with all the village kids that says "belize." Could it have been more appropriate? Only if I had my staple of blue sport shorts on as well.

No comments: