Friday, August 05, 2005

the village

If you haven't seen this movie and don't want to hear anything about it... stop right now.

If you're still reading, you probably don't care, even if you do see it, but I am giving away the "so-called" "twist" of the movie... like I said, it's not that big of a deal, except that if you do know before the movie, it would make the whole movie not worth watching.

So, here is my review... though quite late since it seems most people have seen it or have heard enough negatives to not see it. Though I heard the same laments about this movie, I still wanted to see it for myself. I'm glad I did, because I would have wondered if maybe, just maybe I would've really enjoyed it.

I liked it until they told you that "the ones we don't talk about" were actually the "elders" of the town who wanted to escape from real life and create their own "safe" community. I kept thinking, no, that can't be the only twist, there's got to be another one coming. The one thing they threw in at the end was a bit lame... of course explained some things, but it definitely was not the best of M. Night Shamaylan's (however ya spell it) movies. After Sixth Sense, you just can't get much better, or I should say he hasn't.
Though I did enjoy SIGNS, I should watch that one again, boy that brings back memories. I saw that movie with Rich, Corinne, Tim, and JJ, back in the good ol' days when nobody was dating anyone and we all just had good old fashioned fun! But I'm not bitter... tee hee jk i'm really not...
So, back to the review...
Overall, I liked the first half, the second didn't go well and then the ending... that was even more lame. I did like Adriene Brody's character, he kind of made the movie for me, even though he was the one who almost killed Joaquine Phoenix. Or maybe he did kill him, we never do actually find out... DUMB, it's not even one that you care to wonder if he lives or not. It's like, WHAT? that's the ending... wow... this truly was one that I understand why 95% of the people I talked to said it was lame.

That's my review!

Adios Amigos~

2 comments:

david said...

Not to say I told you so but I tried to warn you. I tried. I've never seen the movie, but after hearing countless tales of how lame the ending is I knew my time would be better spent counting ceiling tiles.

Erin Bennett said...

I didn't like this movie. I only saw it in the thick of Oscar-mania because it was nominated for original score. Stupid reason to spend $3.50 at Blockbuster. :)