Wednesday, January 17, 2007

almost two years

wow... i took Erin's challenge to look back from the beginning of all my blogs to date. Well, I admit that I didn't get through all of them, but it was interesting to read the ones I got through so far.

One of the highlights for me was reading the one about "Assertiveness vs. Old Fashioned Chivalry"..... It was bascially about my thoughts on dating at the time. After another two years of non-dating... except for one blind-date, my thoughts have changed slightly, but it sure doesn't mean it's any easier.

Here are my thoughts as of late..

This probably is a huge generalization, but I feel like some single christian men are wimps... okay that's really mean i know... so don't take it personally if you know you are not... but I can't understand why guys won't just say hey, let's hang out... and get the ball rolling to get to know someone. Just because you go out on a "date" doesn't mean you are ready to make any kind of commitment. Yes, I get it, it's hard... I've definitely heard the guy's side, but I've heard from a lot of guys who did take initiative... so I KNOW they do exist...
I've done the "hey let's hang out" bit many times and I'm sick of being the one to initiate things. Have I been not assertive enough, after 9 years of working in the youth ministry, and have NO dates??... that's a huge statement to make, because my intent in working with the youth has NEVER been to find a soul-mate. BUT, you'd think that there would be a higher possibility, right? atleast a few dates (that the other actually admitted to calling "dating").
okay so that was a huge rant... that i'll leave for now...

online dating just doesn't work for me...
i want to meet someone in a casual setting.. trying to wade through 20 matches who probably are already pursuing other matches in the first place is not fun! so yes, I admit here publicly that I tried it.. for one week.. (yeah yeah... give it time right... whatever) and cancelled. BUT, cancelling only made it so that I couldn't receive more matches. I continued trying to communicate with a couple, but neither really seemed to click... and I just didn't like the process. There's still this feeling of pressure... and it's a lot of work and time commitment. Of course that's how the dating process is, but in normal circumstances (vs. online) you'd usually only be "dating" and getting to know one guy at a time. (or i s'pose that could be challenged, but you know what i mean).
I don't want your "positive" thoughts encouraging me to give it another chance, unless you've had experience with this... :) (course, I'm sure none of my readers would be in this situation anyhoo... )

let's see... other thoughts...
i'm sure there could be more.. but i believe my caffine buzz from the mango tea i drank at 8 tonight is finally wearing off and i should go to bed so that i'm not cursing at clients under my breath tomorrow from my lack of sleep.. haha.. JK i don't do that!!! (too often, atleast)

3 comments:

Erin Bennett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin Bennett said...

Hey, I'm glad someone took my challenge! Fun, isn't it?
I like your thoughts. When I hear you (or read you) talk about this stuff, I feel like it's the way I'd feel if I wasn't married. That sounds weird, but I feel like I didn't get to (or have to) deal with guys being stupid. Not that Dan's never stupid... :)

Karen said...

Sis,
your so cute!!!! and I'm so proud of you for having enough courage to set standards and not settle for the online thing that just dosen't work for you. I know that it is just about every womans desire to have a guy to share life with but I think your on the right track just being you and figuring out what you like & don't like. I just want to "encourage" you to... just kidding your the coolest!!!! Hugs -K-