Saturday, January 20, 2007

the practice of patience

As I made my grilled ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, I thought of a good analogy for patience.

My sister and I were talking this week about grilled ham and cheese sandwiches because they are something she is craving with the pregnancy. She commented about how Pat (my brother in law) makes them really well because he is patient. I agreed and said, I guess that's how him and I are alike. I finally mastered the technique of grilled cheese myself, so I was boasting to her about it as well.

I decided to have one for lunch today and thought of the conversation as I was making my sandwich. But of course, because I was thinking of it, my sandwich didn't turn out. I got distracted by something else in my patient state. I thought that the burner was on low enough, but I didn't check it often enough, and it was black when I finally looked! SHOOT! That patience didn't pay off, but maybe it wasn't the patience that didn't pay off, it was the distraction.

Okay, so if you need an explanation of what I'm getting at.. here it is.. in life they say that "patience is a virtue" etc etc... but if you're not paying attention to what you are patient with, you'll get burned!

haha... get it?!

I know... i'm cheesey... literally... haha... okay okay i'm done!

ooh.. two posts in one day again!

2 comments:

Erin Bennett said...

I have to comment, if for nothing else but to say that I like your label. It's just funny to think of you having multiple posts about cheese. Maybe it's just because it's "late" and I'm tired. Okay, I'm going to bed. :)

david said...

Erin - I like how "late" is 9:13 p.m. I really wish I was going to bed by then. Stupid school work.

Lisa - Great post. I've always found it easy to be patient for most things, but like you said, in that state it is also easy to lose track of why you are waiting. You can't wait forever. Like with the grilled cheese, at some point to need to stop waiting and strike before it burns and you miss your moment.