Saturday, January 20, 2007

the "next generation"

Here is what I sent to Open Door on their "contact us" page... having just listened to a great new sermon by Dave... "the way of the rabbi"... it spurred these thoughts again because he again mentioned something about "the next generation".... what do ya think?---


For the past couple years now, I keep hearing from the pulpit that the "next generation" is important, and vital.. etc etc etc. Which I totally agree with and get excited about. My frustration is that there seems to be no instruction or no follow through in these people just saying it out loud. When I hear it, my question is, yeah, okay so?? What's your point... where are you going with that... where is your vision for the "next generation"...?? You can talk all you want about it from the pulpit, but still over half the congregation has no idea what the "next generation" is doing. Or who they are...

Is it the 20somethings... is it the 30somethings... or is it the youth? I suppose it is all of them.

I work with the senior highers... they are an awesome group of people. Why only let them lead a service that barely 1/3rd of the congregation attends? I'm sure there is some explanation of sorts that explains it away... what if this happens, what if that happens.. why does everything have to go through mirads of hoops at a BIG corporate church?

The 20somethings are starting to meet and it seems like a good place to connect, and it is fairly new... so probably needs some time to fester. I don't know...


I think my point to all of this would be, whose responsibility is it for things to change?

This could be a tricky line to walk on... because above all, it's not about the people, it's about the story of Christ in them.. and what he's doing in "the next generation."

I think that's the reason I've had a hard time with addressing any of this, because I don't want it to be a selfish, me- thing.

These thoughts probably aren't as thought out as they should be, but it's the best I've got for now.
I hate it when you've sent something, and then read it later again, (after having read it before you sent it, too) and realize something better to say... but owell... I guess that's why the last line is there.

No comments: