Sunday, May 15, 2005

Wedding Let down

Well, I'm all done with my two wedding weekends in a row. If you hadn't known, I was IN two weddings one weekend after the other. I hate how things end so quickly though, when you're building up for it, for so long, and then it's all over before you're ready.
The first wedding was fun because I was a bridesmaid along with one of my dearest friends, Angela. It made the day all the more fun, and at the end of the day we could drive home and hold each other up and not have so much of that "wedding let-down." I think it comes on more if you've been in the wedding because like I said, you plan for so long and then it's over. Especially for the attendants, and especially if you're single. You're good friend who got married plans and plans and then they get a sweet reward when it's over. I, on the other hand, go home and feel just a bit low. I'm not writing this to be a pathetic wimpering single girl, I'm confident for that one day, but it doesn't make the feeling in the moment any better. It's a reality, and if I ignore those feelings it will only get worse in the long run.
The wedding last night was a blast, but this one came with more emotion because I know Corinne and Rich so much better. There's a huge high of all the prep because it's a bunch of people I know to have fun and get ready with, walk down the aisle with, eat and drink with, and best of all DANCE with! :) (ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' Alive, stayin' Alive)
I saw a couple of people I hadn't seen in so long and it was great to connect with them as well. I think God really knows when and where to place people in your lives, even if it's just for a moment. One such lady, Janelle Jukabowski, had just the right words for me. I didn't even have to say any of the thoughts I had been thinking, she just said, "I will be praying for you" very intentionally and spoke words that really mattered.
I also saw a man who I've known over the years at more of a distance, him and my dad know each other and his wife and I were in a class at church last summer. I never knew he really knew who I was, but last night he greeted me and gave me a quick squeeze. And again, just spoke a few words. I don't remember what they were, but it was just a sweet gesture that I was blessed by.
So, getting back to that "let down" thing... it really wasn't as bad at the very end of the night. I had two very nice guys to hang out with and sway my mind from that. We went and "watched" a movie. I try to live up to the fact that I don't fall asleep during movies, but wow, I was more tired than I thought! Owell....anyways...
All in all, I was incredibly honored and blessed to be in the weddings these past two weeks, it was fun and an experience I'll not soon forget. I wouldn't trade the low feelings I am going through now, for anything. They're worth the price of standing by and supporting two wonderful couples... and other couples to come.
Peace-

3 comments:

Erin Bennett said...

I totally feel the let down! I feel like it was GO! GO! GO! for about 14 hours, and then I got to come home and sit. And ironically enough, I was too tired to fall asleep. :) (My 2 hour nap this afternoon makes me think I'm over that problem...) But it's hard for me to feel let down for too long because it was such a lovely wedding, and I'm so extremely happy for the two of them. I can't imagine doing yesterday two weeks in a row, though. You are a trouper!

david said...

I've only been in 4 weddings in my life, and never two in two weekends. I'm amazed that is humanly and financially possible (I hear those bridesmade dresses aren't cheap!).

I hear you loud and clear with the whole last man/woman standing bit. It isn't always an easy road. I'm sure you already know this, but you are prime marriage material; one of the girls the best man was talking about Saturday at the reception. Of all the single people I know, I'd say you have by far the least to worry about.

Lisa said...

erin-
i'm jealous of your two hour nap, though i chose to visit my niece and nephew instead. it was a good choice, i miss them being close. :(

david-
how many times can i say thank you? well, atleast once more... thank you so much. you are a truly great guy and have a great heart. you should know as well that you'll make some lucky woman really happy as well!