Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I've been reading a lot lately from different blogs about missions. One of them is out of country doing missions and the other is asking the question why it looks so different to see missionaries as people who are serving right here, in our community. Why does it "seem" so different, when we're all using the same basic principles.

Well, I decided to go to dictionary.com to find the definition of "missions" this is what I found:

    1. A body of persons sent to conduct negotiations or establish relations with a foreign country.
    2. The business with which such a body of persons is charged.
    3. A permanent diplomatic office abroad.
    4. A body of experts or dignitaries sent to a foreign country.
    1. A body of persons sent to a foreign land by a religious organization, especially a Christian organization, to spread its faith or provide educational, medical, and other assistance.
    2. A mission established abroad.
    3. The district assigned to a mission worker.
    4. A building or compound housing a mission.
    5. An organization for carrying on missionary work in a territory.
    6. missions Missionary duty or work.
  1. A Christian church or congregation with no cleric of its own that depends for support on a larger religious organization.
  2. A series of special Christian services for purposes of proselytizing.
  3. A welfare or educational organization established for the needy people of a district.
    1. A special assignment given to a person or group: an agent on a secret mission.
    2. A combat operation assigned to a person or military unit.
    3. An aerospace operation intended to carry out specific program objectives: a mission to Mars.
  4. An inner calling to pursue an activity or perform a service; a vocation.
So, by these definitions, the one we as Christians reflect on most or assume most is definition #2. Which says specifically going to a foreign land. We forget about definition 2c-e... WHY? I just don't understand.
I know for me, it was always taught that way all during my growing up years in the church since I was a kid. Probably some time in highschool was when I heard that "foreign land" could refer to a foreign place right here in the city, not just some place across the ocean.

The thing that excites me, is that I don't have to think about it that way anymore. It will be more difficult, but I'm up for the challenge. I'm also excited because our new "youth guy" is making an effort to get our youth out there in our city... be it Maple Grove or North/South Minneapolis, he has this mission mindedness that is right here. He wants us to have nights this year that we're being the Hands and Feet of Jesus. I think it is something we've lacked for so long, and like I've said two times already, I'm excited!

So, in an attempt to pull this thing together(because I lost my direction in that last paragaph) I've really been thinking about this missional life thing lately and I'm curious to see what God does in me and the lives of those who work with me.

No comments: